Monday 23 March 2015

Last week

Firstly an apology that this isn't perfect, just more of a summary to refer back to for myself or if others might be interested. If I had time I'd smarten it up but I'd rather get it out there imperfect. Monday, Cycled in and listened to a great podcasts about a report on Ultra Runners. As a group we are 2.3% likely to have time of work due to sick. The normal rate is 3.7%! Could I use that as a tool for a pay rise! Legs still not 100% after the marathon as I haven't recovered as I would usually from yesterday's 20 miler. Ran home 10.5 miles about 6:45 pace. Nice and relaxed for recovery. Tuesday, I couldn't decide whether or not to do sprints today or tomorrow. I decided to see how I felt, still felt a bit sore so jogged into work, 10.5 miles 6:45 pace. I'll do sprints tomorrow. I felt a bit strange on the run, light headed, I think that was down to not eating enough yesterday so when I got into work I ate plenty: fruit and nuts with a bit of dark chocolate. I'm still on the No Sugar No Grain diet thing; I started on 11th March. It's working for me but I wouldn't say its for everyone. Also managed to do a short core strength workout. Cycling home: chain broke but I managed to get to the bike shop who did a quick repair job. In the evening I have a good foam roller session so massage the legs. Wednesday, Cycled in to work, usual core workout. I found out, that the IAU 100 km World Championships are going to be on 12th Sept 2015 in Winschoten, the Netherlands, I'd really like to go with a GB vest and as such I'm training hard for the Anglo Celtic Plate 100k which, I think, might be part of a qualifier for the World or if I get a good time would help my case. First though I need to be selected to run for Wales at the ACP and I'm expecting the email any day. Thursday, Thu Mar 19 5pm Bike into work 10.50miles 50:00 mins Thu Mar 19 5pm Run 10.43miles 1:12:00time 6:54 pace Friday Fri Mar 20 11am Intervals 2.85miles 15:00mins 5:16pace on grass Fri Mar 20 11am Run 2.50miles 17:00time 6:48pace Fri Mar 20 7am Buggy Run 5.30miles 43:00time 8:07 pace I've been trying out different running APPS. Here's a summary of what I've found out I hope it helps you to save time messing around with them. Runtastic App The basic version seems to let you pre-set intervals and coach you through the session through voice instructions whilst you run. This is okay when going in straight lines but when doing laps, say around a track of field, the pace seems to be out. Strava App Better social App. Can't do intervals but it looks like if you set up your own private segments then you can race these and get live voice feedback whilst running. The only thing is that you have to upgrade for the segment thing. Before I do that I'll test the accuracy of the pace against my Garmin 310 xt. Strava has a better auto pause than Runtastic because it also uses the accelerometer in the phone. Saturday Took it easy today with Theo in the running buggy. 1 hour at 7:30 mind per mile pace. Saving the legs for tomorrow's race. I took the opportunity to test the accuracy of Strava compared to my Garmin 310 xt. I even through in some pauses to make sure Strava could cope. I was pleasantly surprised; the two where in step with each other. I found out on another blog today that the Strava premium segment audio feedback tells you when your: - Approaching a segment - Pace half way through a segment and - Time at the end. This sounds perfect for intervals as I can set up segments of half mile reps to do. Sunday Came second in the Mold Borders League Road Race and felt strong. It was a gorgeous sunny day. I'm now first in the League and will have to keep fit to stay there. I've just worked out how to wirelessly link my Garmin to my mobile phone. Really pleased! End of blog

No comments: