Thursday 23 September 2010

The marathon is like a bullfight. There are two ways to kill a bull, for instance. There is the easy way, for one. But all the great matadors end up either dead or mauled because for them killing the bull is not nearly as important as how they kill the bull. They always approach the bull at the greatest risk to themselves, and I admire that. In the marathon, likewise, there are two ways to win. There's the easy way if all you care about is winning. You hang back and risk nothing. Then kick and try to nip the leaders at the end. Or you can push, challenge the others, make it an exciting race, risking everything. Maybe you lose, but as for me, I'd rather run a gutsy race, pushing all the way and lose, then run a conservative, easy race only for a win. - Alberto Salazar, 1981

Injury update.
- I did not wear my compression trousers last night. Too tied to put them on!
- Subsituted morning run for 1 hour in the pool. My first proper swimming training session in a group, with a teacher and everything.
- I could actually hear my shin tendons creaking this morning when I lifted my foot upwards; scary.
- Physiotherapy at 1pm.
- Arnica oil massaged in (I'm loving this stuff).
- 10 hours quality sleep last night.
- Training on grass tonight.

Hopefully I should not loose anything with this injury, IF it doesn't get worse. I can keep up the base endurance with cross training and do my interval/tempo runs on grass. Pray.

No comments: